Set toaster oven to 350 degrees (or use a microwave).
In oven and microwave-safe mug or glass bowl, whisk together dry ingredients:
· 2 Tbsp coconut flour
· 1 Tbsp carob or cocoa powder
· 1/8 tsp baking powder
· 1/8 tsp baking soda
· Pinch (or 2) of sea salt
· A scant 1/8 tsp powdered stevia (if using liquid, add a dropperful with the liquids below)
Add wet ingredients on top of dry:
· 1 egg
· 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil or butter (melted)
· 2-4 Tbsp unsweetened, non-dairy milk of choice (I prefer canned coconut milk)
Mix thoroughly (watch out for pockets of dry).
Bake 20-25 minutes in a toaster oven until it tests done and has risen up the sides of the mug and possibly higher. It’s amazing to witness!
Or…Microwave 2-3 minutes.
I suggest being flexible with the ingredients: Adjust the amounts to create a typical cake batter consistency and taste.
Now you’ve tried it “plain”, it’s time to experiment with different flavors. Go vanilla! Go spicy! Add cardamom. Cinnamon. Add a tsp of cocoa nibs, freshly-ground flax seeds, nuts and/or “clean” chocolate. It is an amazingly versatile recipe.
And for all of you who want to know more:
Let’s dive into the ingredients.
I’m a firm believer in eating foods which actually nourish me, so rather than using fluff to create this gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free cake, I use nutrient-dense whole foods to give my body the best chance of digesting well and not being riddled by anxiety.
Here’s the “skinny” on our key ingredients:
COCONUT FLOUR has lauric acid which supports us by balancing bacteria, viruses, and yeast in our guts. Fer real. Coconut oil, same thing. And the full-fat milk has been shown to reduce anxiety, too. It also has:
· Prodigious amounts of fiber which supports digestion, as well as promoting the proliferation of gut-healthy short chain fatty acids to reduce IBS/IBD issues.
· A decent amount of protein (the cake has 3 grams from the flour).
· A low Glycemic Index—it will not spike our blood sugars.
· Support for weight balance! Because of the fiber and protein as appetite management and MCTs for energy and fat burning.
· An impressive amount of iron. Who would have thunk it?
CAROB POWDER is packed with fiber and minerals, is sweet, and yet has no added sugars. We use it in place of cocoa even though it, honestly, tastes nothing like it. I love the flavor—but it is not chocolate, in case anyone tries to tell you that.
Carob also has:
· High anti-oxidant levels so it is neuro-protective, anti-cancer, anti-inflammation of all sorts.
· Enough fiber to make a difference with balancing blood sugars, blood pressure, cholesterol—and keeps us full longer.
· No caffeine—which is a plus for us anxious types! Can’t say that about cocoa/chocolate.
· No tyramine—a plus for those of us prone to migraines. Cocoa also has this one.
· No oxalates, unlike cocoa, so we get to absorb the minerals that are in it. Oxalates in cocoa prevent us from absorbing the calcium—and may lead to kidney stones. Boohoo.
· No theobromine. Yeah, that. This means it is not deadly to our furry friends. Boom.
We can bake for our pets using carob.
STEVIA is the final ingredient I want to explore for its nourishing qualities. It is an ancient and revered herb—historically used for burns, colic, and…wait for it…contraception. I can’t make this stuff up.
· Stevia can increase insulin sensitivity, to reduce chances of diabetes.
· Stevia can reduce oxidative stress, which means less chance of cancer.
· Stevia can reduce cholesterol and blood pressure.
Just be sure that you’re getting pure stevia—no added stuff to dilute the wonder powers. Frequently the big brands make things sound great and good and natural—and then add fillers which turn out to be nothing but sugar with a fancy name.
Finally, I would not be the practitioner I intend to be if I didn’t offer a word about using a microwave to cook this little beauty.
Yes, I confess that I do use mine. I keep waiting for it to die—and then hope I can convince my family not to replace it—because, yes, they are dangerous. No matter how carefully they are constructed, each time we turn it on, electromagnetic radiation seeps out through the cracks. Older ones are likely worse.
There is continued controversy about whether the food being cooked is depleted by being microwaved. Do your due diligence, is all I’ve got on that score. And…
If you do choose to push the START button—do not hang around while the machine is on. Electromagnetic frequency radiation can cause anxiety--so we don't want to open the door to that. Ha.
I do my best to press and flee.
My family—not so much.
I have seen enough data to let me know that we don’t need the extra radiation coming at us and I don’t generally find it inconvenient to leave the room.
I believe in honoring my body by caring for it as carefully as I can without stressing out my mind in fighting every “battle” with my family. I choose to see opportunity rather than “battle” and I take them one at a time.
I encourage you to listen to your body and do what feels right to you. Choosing this cake, rather than a conventional sugar- and wheat-laden one, will support your digestive and mental health. And it tastes good--a triple win in my book.
And, hey—let me know how the cake turns out for you!
FINALLY Finally BIG FINALLY--don't forget to register for my FREE Inner Calm mini-course--it's coming up soon and you don't want to miss out on the handy workbook!